Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Sports Ilustrated Article Explores Poker Craze and Problem Gambling On Campus

"ON A TYPICAL NIGHT ONLINE I'LL START OUT WITH $100. I'LL PLAY UNTIL I LOSE. I'LL LOOK AT THE SCREEN, TEARS IN MY EYES, AND THINK OF ALL THE THINGS THAT I NEED MONEY FOR. SO I PLAY AGAIN, PUT IN ANOTHER $100."-- TOM, JUNIOR, INDIANA


One of the many interesting quotes from an article from the Sports Illustrated Online article entitled "All In". The article is included in the "SI on Campus" section and joins many other articles of late regarding the poker craze on campuses across the country.


The article itself does a pretty decent job of disucssing the current state of this craze, fad, obsession, or whatever that is sweeping across the country's colleges. They do spent some time discussing the negative aspects of the issue including a tendency towards compulsive gambling, but of course also mention how some lucky few are claiming to win their tuition playing poker.


I do have one pretty significant complaint however. At the end of the article they list a bunch of links to sites of interest. NOT ONE OF THEM is a link to Gamblers Anonymous , or any other problem gambling site. Given the amount of ink they devoted to the problem gamblers in the story, those links should have been included.


John

No comments:

Post a Comment