Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Day 919 - Gamblers Anonymous Convention

Hello All,

Padres win again! Back in first place after beating the AZ Diamondbacks tonight. Nice!

Not a lot going on with me of late, hence one of the reasons for a little dearth of journaling. Other reasons are I have been busier at work lately so it makes it hard for me to do anything in the daytime, and then I wasn't feeling well. Better now though.

So, I am finally going to make my payment for the National Gamblers Anonymous convention this October 7-9, 2005. It is being held here in San Diego by chance so I had some decisions to make before I registered. See, plans range in price from just a small $45.00 registration fee which allows access to all the workshops and the hospitality room, but no meals or hotel stay, all the way to $379.00 which does include 2 nights hotel and all meals and banquet/dance access.

Thankfully since I have quit gambling and am no longer throwing that money away, things are not as tight financially. But I still do owe considerable money to others and $379.00 could easily go somewhere else when there really was no REQUIREMENT that I stay overnight in the hotel since I live about 30 minutes away. At other conventions out of town I have attended of course this is not an issue. If I go, I must stay at the hotel. But I wasn't sure I would this time.

Anyway, after some soul-searching I decided I will in fact spend the entire weekend at the hotel. I decided that as a recovering compulsive gambler I must continue to make that recovery my highest priority. Otherwise I could find myself back where I was 920 days ago. As I have discovered at other conventions, much of the best stuff happens OUTSIDE of the normal convention activities, and sometimes in the middle of the night at the 24 hour meeting, or in the lobby. Keeping these things in mind I decided the money is a good investment for myself, and those I owe . If I go back to gambling there is no chance that they will see their money again, right?

Also, staying in the hotel will allow me to help the convention committee as needed to keep things running smoothly. We are expecting upwards of 500 people to attend from around the world so they will need help with the unexpected. I will be happy to do it.

So, one more decision made. I don't have to think about it anymore. As Forest Gump says "thats good...one less thing!"

Hey, if you are interested in a really good time with golf, San Diego weather, great recovery and fellowship, click on the link in this post or on the home page of this blog. I would love to meet readers I have not yet met!

Good night all...

John

No comments:

Post a Comment