Thursday, May 19, 2005

BBC TV Show "Compulsion" Profiles Compulsive Gambler

Jan said she would refuse against her lawyer's advice to plead guilty to stealing. 'I did do it in reality', she admitted, 'but in my heart I was going to pay it back'. An interesting distinction.

This quote is from a TV show that apparently aired on the BBC TV network on May 19th according to the spiked-culture website.

I would have liked to have seen the show, perhaps someday it will play here in the USA BBC network. The quote above is absolutely eerily similar to what I have said on many occasions on this site. When trying to acquire cash to get my "fix" of gambling, I honestly believed at the time I just needed the money to get started; that I was going to give it back in a few hours with more added on top. It never happened.

In the show "Jan" is facing prosecution for theft. The article does not divulge the final outcome, but the reviewer discusses the reality that this compulsion is complicated. There likely is no way to know the "final" outcome.

I would love to hear from anyone who did see the show.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment