Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Day 913 - Telephone Other Members As Often As Possible

The headline of this post is taken from #2 on page 17 of the Gamblers Anonymous Combo Book . This page is really the lifeline for staying away from the bet. Anyway, #2 says call other members as often as possible, use the telephone list!

This is a weak area of my program. I am on the phone all day at work, am on the GA hotline and get calls from potential members to the fellowship, and then have several personal calls I make. But, for whatever reason I find it hard to pick up the phone and call another member of the fellowship.

I am however getting better at ANSWERING the phone when other members call me. Tonight I am glad I did. The call was from one of our local GA trustees who I have not seen for a few weeks. When I first entered the program this man and I spent almost every day together going to meetings all over southern California. With his 34 years gamble free, he is a key piece in my so far successful bid to remain abstinent.

He filled me in on the National Convention and Board of Trustees meeting held this past week in Connecticut. Nothing too exciting except we have a new Chairman of the Board of Trustees. I think it was a man from New Jersey who was elected. I am personally acquainted with the outgoing COB and I know he will be hard act to follow.

I look forward to seeing my friend Friday at the next meeting we will both attend. Then a 24 year member is getting married this weekend and I will see many people at that celebration. I am looking forward to it.

I am heading to sleep now confident in the fact I had a pretty close to 100% desire not to gamble today. I worked hard at my job, went to a meeting tonight (good one by the way!), took a call from another member, and blogged here. My actions seemed in touch with that desire.

In the end all I can do is keep performing those actions each day and life will hopefully continue to get better.

Good night.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment