Sunday, May 8, 2005

New Link - RichieRosati.com

You never know who you might run into at a Gamblers Anonymous meeting. Similarly, you never know who has a blog out there! I ran across this blog about a week ago and found the writing somewhat compelling. While reading I noticed the writer mentioned something about being a compulsive gambler. Here is a sample of what I was reading:

"I told him where I was going. After his whistling tune had ended he asked me what I did at my job. It was refreshing that he was only a tad bit inquisitive but I really wasn't in the mood to explain the zillion job titles that I have at work so I kept my answers brief and was hoping he'd continue whistling.

He then began asking me what I knew about Christianity...I said to myself, "Please don't start this very long conversation about the do's and dont's of religion...I'm way too tired to think and respond. I'm just a Catholic boy trying to get to work on time Mister."
He then realized that I worked for tv and handed me his business card...asking me to pass it around the station...

The whole time I felt as if I was in one of those scenes from taxicab confessions...At any moment I could have blurted out that I was a compulsive gambler in recovery...but as I said earlier, I was much too exhausted to talk or think...let alone debate...You win...now continue whistling..."

I did a little more digging and discovered the writer is an actor named Richie Rosati. Not just a high school actor either. Richie has appeared on such shows as "Who's the Boss", "Americas Most Wanted", and is currently an on-air announcer for the public television station in Philadelphia.

But, most importantly as it relates to this site is that he is an admitted problem gambler. You have to Google around a bit to find it, but his older journal (pre-blog days) outlines his initial days as new member in the fellowship more than his current posts. Today, thankfully he appears to have time to enjoy a more "normal" life for a man of his age. Frankly, that is one of the things that impresses me. I am always happy when younger people are able to make the commitment he has to stop gambling. Also, for better or worse, the occasional Hollywood star seems to give some credibility to things for a certain segment of our society. He isn't the first to go public, Gladys Knight comes to mind as another, but that shouldn't diminish the impact he may be able to have.

Anyway, have a look. Click here to access his home page, and from there you can access his blog. I have also posted a permanent link (with his permission) on the right.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment