Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Recovery Saying of the Day...

"Abstinence, then serenity."

For me, before I could even consider any level of serenity I had to first be able to get a clearer head. While gambling things that now seem completely insane managed to make sense at the time. I spent every day while gambling chasing myself, trying to cover up for my actions, finding money first to pay what I had "borrowed" the night before and then enough more to start the cycle once more. In between I was trying to work, care for a family, and carry on a "normal" life. All I did was create mountains of problems.

Once I was able to remain abstinent for a period of time, at least I wasn't running around in the same circle every day. Only then was I able to think about the things I ACTUALLY cared about.

No comments:

Post a Comment