Sunday, May 22, 2005

Day 917 - The World Is A Small Place

Good morning,

Another beautiful one here, maybe not quite as hot as yesterday.

Went to the wedding I spoke about yesterday, actually I guess it was more just the reception. Only family was present for the actual ceremony earlier in the day. It was a nice gathering. I would estimate about 150 people or so all together. Food was awesome, dancing was nice, and just seeing people in a happy mooe was very nice. I have to admit, it did not seem that there were as many compulsive gamblers there as I expected, but it wasn't like I was alone or anything.

As a matter of fact, I was reminded that the world really can be a small place at times. As I am wandering through the house visiting and meeting new folks, I saw some people I recognized but did not know from where. I did not think it was from GA, and sure enough they weren't. I introduced myself, and after about 20 seconds of talk we realized that we knew each other from over 7 years ago in my prior life as a software executive. They were relatives of the bride in the ceremony, and from out of town. Turns out they both work for a large law enforcement agency that I was courting as a client before my gambling days. We had actually spent some time together back those years ago, so it was nice catching up. But, if I cared about such things anymore, what are the chances I would run into these people at a wedding of a compulsive gambler friend of mine, hundreds of miles, and many years away. Strange.

Of course then came the inevitable discussion of where I had been, what I was doing. There are times I discuss my gambling history and times I don't. I am not ashamed of it at all, but I need to be careful not to break anonymity of another. These people only knew I was a friend of the groom's, and there were many other "friends" there. I have no idea whether these people knew about the groom's gambling past, and it sure wasn't my business to tell them. Since the chance existed that me talking about my gambling past may lead to them making a connection, I decided better against mentioning it. Besides, in the end it would not have added much to the conversation. Who knows if I will ever see these guys again.

I did have a good time though. It was nice to get out and let loose a little bit. After two+ years I still am dealing with some of my past wreckage so I don't get to do that as much as I would like.

Anyway, back to the yardwork today, and baseball! Not a lot of news the last few days, but I will post what I come across.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment