Friday, June 17, 2005

Recovery Saying of the Day...

"Before you say I can't, say I'll try."

Often when I get phone calls from people on the Gamblers Anonymous hotline the gambler, or the person affected by the gambler are crying. From within the tears they explain to me how bad life has gotten for them, the family, and everyone around them. This is a feeling I can completely relate to. It was not that long ago that I too was wrapped up in the chaos of the gambling lifestyle.

However, after the crying, when I try to offer them some soft suggestions based on my experience I meet with considerable resistance? When I try to suggest a meeting near them on a given day it is often "well I can't go on Thursdays" etc.... I explain to them the fact they THEY called the hotline so it is very possible they are looking for help, but still there are often the excuses. At some point there is only so much I can offer and must complete the call.

I UNDERSTAND the resistance. It took me years of pain, the loss of everything and every person around me before I finally made it to my first GA meeting. But, unless you TRY to surrender, limit the damage by not placing another bet, and then following it up by using the tools available to improve your life, it will never happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment